|The Tale of the Lonely Ghost|
|Season 1, Episode 3|
|Air date||August 29, 1992|
|Written by||Naomi Janzen|
|Directed by||D.J. MacHale|
The Tale of Laughing in the Dark
The Tale of the Twisted Claw
|This article is a capsule. Therefore this could be made longer and more detailed. You can help The Are You Afraid of the Dark? Wiki by.|
The Tale of the Lonely Ghost is the 3rd episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?
As Kristen is walking to the fire, she encounters David, who gives her a birthday present. They walk to the fire, and Eric is catching popcorn in his mouth before Frank pours water in his own. The meeting commences, and David introduces his story before titling it The Tale of the Lonely Ghost.
David, tells the story. The story is about Amanda Cameron whose parents are studying carvings up north. Amanda must stay with her Aunt Dottie and snobby cousin Beth, who wants nothing to do with her and tells her to hang out with her and her friends on several conditions: She cleans up Beth's room, doesn't tell Aunt Dottie, as well as her nanny, and spends a night in the abandoned house next door alone.
Later that night, Amanda is writing a letter to her parents and confronted by Beth's nanny. She starts a conversation with her, but Beth interrupts them, telling Amanda that she hates her nanny and wants her gone, and that she is crazy from an event in the old house next door. The next night, Beth and her friends take Amanda there and explain the legend behind the supposed haunting: Years ago, a little girl lived in that house and was constantly taunted by the other kids because she couldn't speak. One day, her mother found that her overseas husband was sick and sent her daughter to her grandmother's while she went to help him. But, while the girl was walking, she was caught by mean kids, who chased her back home and locked her in her room. Unable to contact anyone, she died of starvation, and is now said to haunt the place as a ghost.
Amanda enters the house, finds the girl's bedroom, hears scratches, and turns around to find "Help me" written backwards on the wall. The ghost of the little girl appears in the mirror, and Amanda, scared, runs out of the house. When Aunt Dottie gets back from working late, Amanda tells her about the writing and the ghost. She disbelieves that the ghost wrote it as an act of vandalism, and sends her and Beth next door to clean the wall. They're both surprised to find more backward "Help mes" written on the walls. The mirror changes into a portal to the world of the ghost, and Beth, hypnotized by the girl's doll collection, walks in. The ghost of the little girl walks out, and Amanda realizes that she didn't want to hurt her, and just wants to give Amanda a necklace with a picture of Beth's nanny, revealing that she is her mother. Amanda then runs off, but Beth is still trapped in the mirror, pounding and yelling to be let out.
Amanda runs back to the house to find the nanny about to leave for a nursing home. She begs for her to go with her to the house, shows her her daughter's necklace, and leads her back to the ghost, where they are tearfully reunited. They enter the portal and close it, freeing Beth but trapping her in the real closet. Amanda and Beth's friends (who had arrived shortly after the reunion) let her out on the condition that she won't be so bossy.
After ending the story, David meets up with Kristen. he reminds her about her present. She is excited and tells him she almost forgot about it because his story was so good. When she opens the present, it's a necklace just like the one is his story, we can see that the sentiment of his gift touches her heart and she thanks him. The final scene shows them running to catch up with the rest of the group.
Click here to see the Gallery.
- Laura Bertram as Amanda Cameron
- Laura Levin as Beth
- Bethanny Nurse as Sally
- Jennie Lévesque as The Lonely Ghost
- Pauline Little as Aunt Dottie
- Sheena Larkin as Nanny
- Jessica Kardos as Beth's other friend (uncredited)
Midnight Society Cast
- Nathaniel Moreau as David
- Rachel Blanchard as Kristen
- Jason Alisharan as Frank
- Ross Hull as Gary
- Raine Pare-Coull as Betty Ann
- Jodie Resther as Kiki
- Jacob Tierney as Eric
- This was the first time David told a story.
- Laura Bertram who played Amanda, reappeared again a couple years later as Laurel in the fifth season episode "The Tale of the Mystical Mirror"
- Laura Bertram is the older sister of Jennifer Bertram who appeared in the series revival's episode "The Tale of the Hunted" as Laura.
- Laura Levin who played Beth would later make two appearances as two different girls in Laura Bertram's main staring show Ready or Not.
- Jennie Lévesque who played The Lonely Ghost would later appear again in the first season as Christina Carr in "The Tale of the Dark Music".
- Bethanny Nurse who played Beth's friend Sally would later reappear in the show again in the episode The Tale of the Closet Keepers as the deaf Girl Stacey.
- Pauline Little who played Aunt Dottie would later appear again in the show. The second time she appeared in the episode "The Tale of the Shiny Red Bicycle" as Ruth Buckley. The third she appeared again as The Librarian in the episode the "Tale of Prisoner's Past".
- Sheena Larkin who played Nanny would reappear in the show several times again. She next appeared as the Boss Hag in "The Tale of Watcher's Woods". The third time she reappeared as Sara Simpson in "The Tale of the Room for Rent". Then in the series revival she appeared for the fourth time as Hermoine St. Clair in the episode "The Tale of the Walking Shadow. The final time she reappeared in the three parter season 7 premiere "The Tale of the Silver Sight" as Grandma Aggie.