|The Tale of the Phantom Cab|
|Season 1, Episode 1|
|Air date||August 15, 1992|
|Written by||Chloe Brown|
|Directed by||Ron Oliver|
The Tale of Laughing in the Dark
|This article is a capsule. Therefore this could be made longer and more detailed. You can help The Are You Afraid of the Dark? Wiki by.|
The Tale of the Phantom Cab is the First episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Currently, David presents a possible new member of the Midnight Society named Frank, who introduces his story entitled The Tale of the Phantom Cab.
Frank, tells the story. the story is about Denny Crocker and his little brother Buzz who get lost in the woods. After being misled by Buzz's compass (which was pointing to his belt buckle because it's magnetic), they encounter a man named Flynn. Flynn takes them to the home of Dr. Vink, an odd backwoods scientist. Dr. Vink begins to ask them riddles, which Buzz easily solves. On the condition that he will let them call their parents, Dr. Vink asks a riddle that stumps both of them: "What's weightless, can be seen by the naked eye, and if put in a barrel, will make it lighter?". When Buzz can't solve it, he forces them to leave, telling them that a cab will soon arrive, and then drives them off by showing them a preserved amputated hand.
The boys run back into the woods and find the cab, of which Flynn is the driver. Flynn reveals Dr. Vink's plot: 40 years ago, he also encountered the scientist and was forced to cut his hand as a specimen. When he left, he was killed when the cab crashed into a tree. Now, his ghost lures people in to Dr. Vink's cabin so that they will relive the accident, killing all of them and giving the doctor new specimens. As they near the crash site, Denny and Buzz desperately try to solve the riddle before Buzz gets the answer: A hole! The cab disappears, and the two are rescued by a ranger. At the end of the story, Buzz and Denny take the police to the location of Vink's cabin, only to find an old stone foundation covered in weeds.
The group votes, and Frank is admitted into the Midnight Society.
- Frank's first story.
- This episode is also when Frank is introduced to The Midnight Society, at the same time the introduction of Dr. Vink, who would later appear in other stories told by Frank.
- This is the only time a Midnight Society member's last name is mentioned (when he is first shown, Gary refers to the inductee as Frank Moore).
- This is the only time a Midnight Society inductee (Frank) remains blindfolded throughout the entire storytelling (Tucker, Sam, and Stig had bags - and, later for Stig, a bandanna - placed over their heads for only a moment when taken directly to the fire.)
- One of twenty-one episodes where the Midnight Society didn't leave and douse the fire with the water-bucket (Frank was being congratulated on joining).
- One of five episodes to feature a different opening (a door appearing against a sky backdrop opening into a dark area with ghostly images rushing by to form the title) instead of the opening of various shots of a bay, a moving playground swing, an old house and attic, and a match lighting itself in the hand that held it.
- Jason Tremblay would reappear a few episodes later as Bostick in "The Tale of the Twisted Claw".
- Brian Dooley who played Flynn the cab driver, appeared again in the season 4 episode "The Tale of the Silent Servant" as Pete Peterson.
- This episode is Dr. Vink's first appearance. His second appearance would be in "The Tale of the Midnight Madness"
- This was the first time a character had referred to Dr. Vink as a "nutbag" and the first time Dr. Vink said he wasn't.